Monday, October 6, 2008

New stuff in garden

I saw pansies in the garden center for the first time this year...so I had to get a couple. I planted pansies, mums, and some other flowers in the flower beds yesterday. Clearing the beds was much easier than I thought it would be. I put the lantana into the bed between the flowers and the cherry bushes and put some hyacinth bulbs under the flowers(annuals).
I bought some compost and big pots to do potatoes since the potato order from Ronnigers is coming today. I'm going to do the garlic in a pot, too, I think. If I have to sprout the potatoes, this may take a week or so, but we'll see.
Speaking of sprouts, I think I like alfalfa sprouts better than mixes because my current mix is trying to go mold, yuck...the alfalfa did so much better.
The side bed now has snow peas coming up all over, beets and cabbage are all beginning to germinate. The small bed has snap peas, radishes, and turnip greens all coming up. My whiskey barrels boast lettuce that can be cut soon, oregano, basil, and cilantro that are ready for small cuts and some eggplants beginning to form with many purple blooms.
I'm amazed daily by my nice garden. I suppose that this new obsession with gardening has taken the place of some bad habits I seriously needed to be rid of. I always had a knack for gardening, but now my heart feels the need to experience gardening daily, at least in some small way.

No comments: